To view the windows update state of a particular computer, click on the “Windows Updates” tab, select “Computers”, and finally click on a number under one of the following columns:
· Updates Available
· Updates Installed
· Update Failures
On this screen, you will find a listing of the update state for a particular computer. You can select which computer is displayed by clicking on the “Change” button at the top of the screen.
This screen has the following columns:
· State – the state of the update, which can be one of the following:
o Available – the update is available
o Installed – the update is installed
o Install Failed – the update failed to install
o Install Aborted – the update’s installation was aborted by the user or other process
o Uninstalled – the update was uninstalled
o Uninstall Failed – the update failed to uninstall, and is still installed
o Uninstall Aborted – the update’s uninstallation was aborted by the user or other process
· Name – the name of the update
· Importance – the importance of the update, which can be “Mandatory”, “Important”, or “Optional”.
· Product – the product name that the update applies to
· Classification – the category that the update is assigned to. Values include:
o Critical Updates – updates that Microsoft deems critical
o Definition Updates – definition updates for software which needs a definition file, like antivirus software
o Drivers – driver packages for hardware devices
o Feature Packs – software which adds a feature to the operating system or product
o Security Updates – updates which fix security issues
o Service Packs – updates which include many updates together
o Tools – individual tools
o Update Rollups – updates which include many updates, but not as many as a service pack
o Updates – other types of updates
· Security Impact – for “Security Updates”, the severity of the security issue that the update fixes. Values include “Critical”, “Important”, “Moderate”, and “Low”.
· Published – the date the update was first published by Microsoft
· Install Date – the date and time the update was installed, if available. Not all installed updates will have this date.
You can also filter the list of updates by selecting a value from the appropriate drop down list at the top of the screen.
The following filters are available. See the column description above for an explanation of each one.
· Update State